Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket      


Wednesday, October 08, 2008

New Women's Bible Study: Beth Moore

So lately life is overwhelming as usual. I've wanted to find time to finish posting all the blogging history I salvaged before moving forward with everything that's going on in life right now. But between our home still on the market, my returning to work soon, SD and I both enrolled in new classes, and 4 kids with their busy schedules, I just can't seem to find the time to blog much these days. I'm going to keep working on it, whenever I can find the time, but for now I need to blog my thoughts and ideas related to some new weekly time I'm beginning to spend in God's word.

A friend of mine has just begun a new 6 week Bible study of Beth Moore's Daniel series (the first half of the series) in her home. I've been through a few different Beth Moore studies and they've always been amazing! When I received the invitation from my friend for this new study, my initial thoughts were, "Oh, I'd love to do that! But, oh my word, my schedule's pretty severe already!" But the more I thought about that I realized most of the time when I open up my heart and allow God to speak to me and move me, it's during those times that a Bible study like this one never becomes a weekly half-to-do-it type of activity, but instead it becomes something I look forward to and crave each week because amidst all the other craziness in my schedule, that weekly time I set apart to be in God's word is exactly what gives me the strength to get through the rest of my week!

There were several scheduling conflicts this first week, so about half of the women signed up for the study weren't able to attend, but the five of us who were there still had an amazing time together. Of the other women, my friend was obviously the host, one woman I had never met before, and the other 2 have attended my church for a long time, but I've never really spoken to them directly. But as the night went on we all discovered several things we have in common and I felt very comfortable in that group. I'm very encouraged by the different people involved and the possibilities for developing new friendships through this study.

The Bible study itself is titled, "Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy." I honestly didn't know what to expect with this study, and to be totally honest I was initially craving the adult conversations & opportunity for weekly girls time more than the Bible study.

As usual, Beth Moore is a very dynamic speaker, who relates scripture in very practical, applicable to today's world type of formats. The study began with Daniel chapter 1, where the overall message described the situation in Babylon, where the people were incredibly self-centered, self-absorbed, and overindulgent in the numerous choices all around them. Beth related this scripture to the culture in which we live today, where we are also surrounded by numerous choices, options, etc.

As a society, we as Americans have led very overindulgent lives for many years. As Beth said, "basically, if we can afford it, we buy" whether we need it or not. We're so fixated by the bombardment of media telling us we won't be happy until we obtain _________, but the truth is none of those things will ever make us happy, we'll just continue to want more.

The message Beth presented in the DVD session was very convicting, and I think the timing in which we've decided to go through this first 6 weeks of the study will be profound, as it will end right before the huge holiday season where we're always so tempted to go on huge spending sprees for Christmas, holiday home decorations, etc.

Beth's challenge to us as we go through this study is to "symbolically" make a choice not to eat off the world's table (a direct correlation to the story in Daniel 1). What she meant by that was an opportunity for us to exercise our muscle of restraint, whether it be in our spending, eating, the things we watch on TV, etc. Beth challenged us to make a commitment not only to learn more through the study of God's word over the next 6 weeks, but to also use this time to limit the things we truly don't need...to be content both in want, and in plenty.

What a profound message, both convicting and exciting to dive into so much more we'll be studying together over the next few weeks. As I drove home last night, I prayed the entire time, asking God to help me to remain focused on Him above all else.

Psalm 27:4

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,

this is what I seek:

that I may dwell in the house of the LORD

all the days of my life,

to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD

and to seek him in his temple.

I prayed that God would help me to continue to be patient and wait on Him, even though two huge issues in my life dealing with selling our home and moving, and my returning to work after 5 years as a stay at home mom, are still completely in a state if HIGHLY frustrating limbo as I wait to hear decisions from other people.

To paraphrase Psalm 27:4, I want to focus on God first, and God only. I want His will to be evident in my life and I want the direction I'm headed to be where God wants me to be, doing what He wants me to do. And anything and everything else He chooses to bless me with along the way is simply bonus.

By the time I returned home, SD had put all the kids in bed and he was rather frustrated with the usual difficulties of our daughter, EJ. I could see by the expression on his face how fed up he was with the whole evening. I sat down and shared with him much of the details of how the first night of the Bible study went and I could see his mind and body relaxing as I spoke. It made me wish that SD could also sign up for a men's study, because I know how beneficial that time away with friends could be for him right now to release some stress. Maybe someone will lead a men's study soon? Or if we're ever able to move into our new home, maybe SD could lead the study?

Today is another day of frustrating waiting on so many big issues in our lives. But discussing the topics of the Bible study gave SD and I an opportunity to weigh several options surrounding these issues and to come up with some new ideas to hopefully relieve the high stress level that's been living in our home for several months, if not the entire past year. We're still waiting, but we're praying that God will give us a peace about the situation, and instead of asking God to bless us with the things we want to happen, we're trying to pray that wherever we're at in life, that we will focus on God first, and God only.

No comments:

Post a Comment