Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket      


Thursday, November 20, 2008

Easter in Review (with lots of pictures) - March 2008

Easter turned out to be a whole weekend long event for us. On Sat. morning we got up very early to attend two different Easter egg hunts around town. Our church only allows children to participate up through 4th grade, so we first headed over to the hunt put on by the local fire department that includes children up through age 10.


Yes, it has become 100% impossible for KW to take a decent group photo.

IK wasn't interested in going, since he couldn't be involved, so he decided to stay home. It was a very cold morning and a long wait until the hunts started, and now KW has a wonderfully green runny nose. After the hunts we headed home where I filled 102 Easter eggs with candy & prizes that we hid all over the front & back yard. This time IK was able to join in on the fun and all the kids had a lot of fun running all over the yard searching for the eggs.

The weather had warmed up quite a bit by the afternoon making it really nice t-shirt weather, so we decided to BBQ for dinner. I ran to the store and picked up some really juicy watermelon, a couple bags of chips, and SD cooked up some hamburgers.

The next morning (Sunday) came VERY early, as we had decided to attend our church's 7:00am sunrise service. Well, that is, IK and I had planned to attend the early service and SD didn't know anything about it. IK had planned a big surprise for his dad that morning.

IK decided to be baptized on Easter morning and wanted it to be a big surprise for his dad. So I woke up everyone really early, and SD didn't even look at the clock when he woke up and thought it was just like any other Sunday morning until I started calling for everyone to get in the car and that's when he realized how early it was and began asking questions to try to figure out why we were getting up so early. I finally told him to just stop asking questions and that's when he figured out something was going on. It was a very big milestone and a great way to start off the morning watching our son explain why he had decided to get baptized, dedicating his life to God.

SD was filming while I was wrestling with KW near the back of the sanctuary. There's a large pool area beneath a section of the stage at the front of the church. IK was baptized by our wonderful youth pastor.

After the early service we stayed for a big breakfast at the church, followed by the regular morning worship service. I took an opportunity to take a few photos of my kids...yup, completely impossible for KW to sit still and smile. He's 2, what do you expect?

Look at these overtired parents! We almost never have an opportunity to take a photo together, and after this one we BOTH have several issues with our appearance and how old we look and feel. I must have an amazing mirror at home, because I swear I didn't look this bad when I left the house.

When I went shopping with EJ for a new Easter dress I discovered how different her taste in clothing is. She purposely looks for items many people would pass up, a slightly different style, somewhat Olive Oil-ish in appearance. But from the moment she saw this dress she instantly fell in love with it! And I'm not at all the kind of mom who would force my children to wear something I prefer that they hate vs. something I think is still okay and they absolutely love. It's more important for me that EJ feels totally wonderful in her new dress that she picked out and SHE loves.
LA is wearing a fairly new hand me down light pink dress she inherited from EJ this year. LA was totally in LOVE with this dress up until 2 days before Easter when she suddenly decided she hated it and had to wear something else. I looked around for a different dress at the stores, but 2 days before Easter there were very slim pickins left, so I told her there's no alternative and she would have to find a way to love her dress again. I think the main issue was that EJ had a brand new dress and she didn't, but I didn't bother trying to buy her a new dress this year since she was so in love with this one. But by the time we arrived at church and she saw EVERY single little girl in her class was also wearing a pink dress (except for one, LA mentioned later) she instantly fell back in love with her outfit.
You may notice neither of the girls ended up wearing the Easter crocheted jackets I was working on. My busy schedule only permitted me to find time to finish one of the jackets in time for Easter. The couple of days prior to Easter both girls told me they didn't want to wear the jackets I was feverishly working to have made in time. Then when Sunday morning arrived, both of them came to me to ask where their jackets were? I explained I only had time to finish one jacket and since both of them had made it clear they didn't want to wear them, they could now fight over who would wear the one jacket that was ready. They both decided once again they didn't want to wear the jackets, so much for that.

After the service we headed upstairs to a party with the teens. IK and one of his best friends, IN, had a lot of fun playing a game of shocking themselves by touching the projector over and over.

Most people don't enjoy being shocked, but for some reason this game lasted well over 15 minutes, and eventually had our youth pastor, an intern and SD also involved. They were purposely rubbing their shoes against the carpet to generate bigger shocks and touching each other to see if they could feel the shocks through each other's bodies. At which point one of the other wives said to me, "Boys never change, huh?"

After church (and family nap time) I got up and began making dinner. Last year I made two really fun Easter dishes, Easter Bunny bread and Easter Meringue Cups.

This year I decided to cook a brown sugar glazed ham for the first time, and it turned out wonderful.
After dinner EJ, LA and KW had a lot of fun coloring Easter eggs. All in all, it was a very enjoyable, for the most part relaxing (except the rush to get to church so early Sunday morning) weekend with a lot of fun.

HAPPY EASTER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment