I don't really have a clever title for my post today, nothing comes to mind.
I've felt like I'm in a slump lately, becoming more and more stressed out about my continuing unemployed status the closer I get to finishing my degree...and more and more frustrated as I continue to apply for a ton of jobs every week and receive a ton of rejection letters in return.
I've never had this much difficulty finding a decent job before. I'm beginning to believe I lucked out big time 10 years ago when I found a very nice paying job with Albertsons straight out of college.
It's been interesting to see the many parallels in my life now compared to then:
1999:
---I was about to graduate from school, with a bachelor's degree in accounting.
---I was very concerned about being able to find a decent job after graduating.
---I was seriously contemplating the idea of continuing school in the fall by adding the extra 5-6 classes needed to graduate with a double major in accounting and finance if I couldn't find a job.
2009:
---I am about to graduate from school, with an MBA in technology management.
---I am very concerned about being able to find a decent job after graduating.
---I am seriously contemplating the idea of continuing school after I complete my last 2 classes by adding the extra 9 classes needed to graduate with a second master's degree in Information Systems (MIS) if I still can't find a job by December.
Do I really want to keep going in school for another 1 1/2 years and pursue a second master's degree? Not really, I'd much rather prefer to pursue PMP (Project Management Professional) certification.
But the stresses of not being able to find a job with only 2 classes left to go are starting to keep me up at night again and I'm fearing I might be headed back to reliance on Ambien for sleep soon.
I've already lowered my expectations so much for a decent paying job and have applied for numerous entry level, no experience jobs, and yet the rejection notices continue.
It's becoming incredibly depressing to receive so much continued rejection from so many companies. I've even been pulling out all the stops, taking advantage of every possible business connection I can possibly think of, and I'm still being turned down for tons of entry level jobs that are far beneath my qualifications that I'm only considering just to get my foot back in the door.
I'm currently holding my breath on another job posting with Albertsons, I mean, Supervalu, that I applied for back on 7/23. This time the position is a Business Systems Analyst Sr. - Oracle Retail Merchandising...which is a very long title for something that's INCREDIBLY interesting work for me, falls directly along the lines of the project management, strategic planning/implementation, special projects, working high level with many other depts. type of work I really would enjoy!
I've contacted my old boss, the one who did everything in her power to hire me in her dept. last Jan. (until she was ordered a directive not to hire outside the company and instead had to absorb an employee from a different dept. who was getting laid off). And she's been in the process of trying to contact the hiring manager for this position.
And SD's brother also knows the hiring manager because they went through the Six Sigma program together several years ago, so I asked him if he would put in a good word for me and he said he would send her an e-mail last night and try to call her today.
SD's starting to joke about getting a second job...but it's becoming less funny and more scary to consider the longer I can't find a job. And it doesn't help things any that our dental bill has now climbed to over $2,000 and next month we're once again forced between the decision to pay our mortgage...or be able to eat, because money is unbelievably tight right now until we receive some extra income that apparently won't be here until some time in Sept. - Oct.
With school starting next month and all the school supplies and extra expenses that brings, the new shoes all my kids are hurting for, and my current class that is so unbelievably demanding that it doesn't leave much time at all for staying caught up on all the mounting housework and yardwork that desperately needs some attention, my stress level is about to pop!
I've felt like I'm in a slump lately, becoming more and more stressed out about my continuing unemployed status the closer I get to finishing my degree...and more and more frustrated as I continue to apply for a ton of jobs every week and receive a ton of rejection letters in return.
I've never had this much difficulty finding a decent job before. I'm beginning to believe I lucked out big time 10 years ago when I found a very nice paying job with Albertsons straight out of college.
It's been interesting to see the many parallels in my life now compared to then:
1999:
---I was about to graduate from school, with a bachelor's degree in accounting.
---I was very concerned about being able to find a decent job after graduating.
---I was seriously contemplating the idea of continuing school in the fall by adding the extra 5-6 classes needed to graduate with a double major in accounting and finance if I couldn't find a job.
2009:
---I am about to graduate from school, with an MBA in technology management.
---I am very concerned about being able to find a decent job after graduating.
---I am seriously contemplating the idea of continuing school after I complete my last 2 classes by adding the extra 9 classes needed to graduate with a second master's degree in Information Systems (MIS) if I still can't find a job by December.
Do I really want to keep going in school for another 1 1/2 years and pursue a second master's degree? Not really, I'd much rather prefer to pursue PMP (Project Management Professional) certification.
But the stresses of not being able to find a job with only 2 classes left to go are starting to keep me up at night again and I'm fearing I might be headed back to reliance on Ambien for sleep soon.
I've already lowered my expectations so much for a decent paying job and have applied for numerous entry level, no experience jobs, and yet the rejection notices continue.
It's becoming incredibly depressing to receive so much continued rejection from so many companies. I've even been pulling out all the stops, taking advantage of every possible business connection I can possibly think of, and I'm still being turned down for tons of entry level jobs that are far beneath my qualifications that I'm only considering just to get my foot back in the door.
I'm currently holding my breath on another job posting with Albertsons, I mean, Supervalu, that I applied for back on 7/23. This time the position is a Business Systems Analyst Sr. - Oracle Retail Merchandising...which is a very long title for something that's INCREDIBLY interesting work for me, falls directly along the lines of the project management, strategic planning/implementation, special projects, working high level with many other depts. type of work I really would enjoy!
I've contacted my old boss, the one who did everything in her power to hire me in her dept. last Jan. (until she was ordered a directive not to hire outside the company and instead had to absorb an employee from a different dept. who was getting laid off). And she's been in the process of trying to contact the hiring manager for this position.
And SD's brother also knows the hiring manager because they went through the Six Sigma program together several years ago, so I asked him if he would put in a good word for me and he said he would send her an e-mail last night and try to call her today.
SD's starting to joke about getting a second job...but it's becoming less funny and more scary to consider the longer I can't find a job. And it doesn't help things any that our dental bill has now climbed to over $2,000 and next month we're once again forced between the decision to pay our mortgage...or be able to eat, because money is unbelievably tight right now until we receive some extra income that apparently won't be here until some time in Sept. - Oct.
With school starting next month and all the school supplies and extra expenses that brings, the new shoes all my kids are hurting for, and my current class that is so unbelievably demanding that it doesn't leave much time at all for staying caught up on all the mounting housework and yardwork that desperately needs some attention, my stress level is about to pop!
AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sept. marks 1 whole year I've been actively pursuing returning to work. I've been through all the emotions of trying to let go of my dreams to stay home with my kids forever and instead accepting the reality that going back to work means I'll barely see my kids anymore. And I can finally say those things without becoming an uncontrollable sobbing mess.
And now that I'm mentally prepared, ready to take on those new challenges, and about to complete this tough degree I've worked so hard through...I'm still so frickin' unemployable! Ugh!
All this stress mess and frustration is leaving me with this depressed slump where I don't feel motivated to do anything. I've been keeping up with my class and doing very well there, and I've been keeping up with most of my workouts, but beyond that my house is a ridiculous mess and I have no motivation to fix it.
In fact, there's a huge mountain of clean laundry covering my bed right now I should be folding, but I just can't find any desire to touch it. The whole long waiting game of applying for jobs and then waiting...and waiting...and waiting...to hear anything, all the while contemplating our future if I do or don't get that job, all to be rejected, and then all to repeat all over again with the next job posting is really driving me nuts!
At this point, I just want a decent paying job that's remotely interesting and allows me to pay all my bills comfortably...because what's the point in going back to work if we're still going to struggle financially? Is that really so much to ask?
Alright, enough complaining...I'm off in search of chocolate!
And now that I'm mentally prepared, ready to take on those new challenges, and about to complete this tough degree I've worked so hard through...I'm still so frickin' unemployable! Ugh!
All this stress mess and frustration is leaving me with this depressed slump where I don't feel motivated to do anything. I've been keeping up with my class and doing very well there, and I've been keeping up with most of my workouts, but beyond that my house is a ridiculous mess and I have no motivation to fix it.
In fact, there's a huge mountain of clean laundry covering my bed right now I should be folding, but I just can't find any desire to touch it. The whole long waiting game of applying for jobs and then waiting...and waiting...and waiting...to hear anything, all the while contemplating our future if I do or don't get that job, all to be rejected, and then all to repeat all over again with the next job posting is really driving me nuts!
At this point, I just want a decent paying job that's remotely interesting and allows me to pay all my bills comfortably...because what's the point in going back to work if we're still going to struggle financially? Is that really so much to ask?
Alright, enough complaining...I'm off in search of chocolate!









No comments:
Post a Comment