Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket      


Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Latest Project - Jan. 2008

My Latest Project

In the summer of 2005 I decided to learn how to crochet. My mom and younger sis got me started with an afternoon of some basic instructions and from there I began buying pattern books and creating my own projects. I l-o-v-e to crochet!!! Since then I've become completely addicted to crochet patterns and wish I had sooooo much more time to spend crocheting than I do.

I've kept a photo journal of all the projects I've made, since most all of them have been given away. When I started my MBA last fall I put all my crochet stuff aside for lack of time to devote to it. For four months I never touched a needle or looked at a pattern. But during Christmas break I decided to start a new project because crocheting is a great stress-relieving hobby for me that I thoroughly enjoy! So, my latest project is a queen size afghan in assorted neutral shades of white, cream, khaki, and chocolate colors. And as usual the initial pattern I chose became boring after several rows, so I decided to switch patterns. I'm planning to alternate between these two patterns and then add the border from the original pattern. The original also used only one color, but I love the additional character in this blanket from the various colors.

The first section of the pattern is actually a simple sc, dc, sc, dc, ...so that explains my boredom after these first 24 rows, 2 of each color at a time. I'm using a light tan/khaki, followed by white, then a variegated mix, and last a rich chocolaty brown.

Then I switched to this really fun and fast moving pattern of (sc, ch2, 2 dc) all in the same space working across with 3ch's at the end of each row. I really love the look of this pattern and have previously used it in a few baby blankets. This pattern works very fast and has a great slanted effect. I'm alternating the same order of colors after repeating 6 rows of the pattern (6 rows of tan, 6 white, 6 mix, 6 chocolate).

After I complete another set of 6 rows of each color in this pattern I plan to alternate back to the original pattern and repeat my beginning 24 rows. It is a little difficult to describe, but I plan to alternate between these two patterns until I arrive at my desired length and then I'll add an interesting border.

This is the largest blanket I've ever attempted! All of the blankets I've previously started (and actually completed) have been no larger than 45in. x 60in. or crib size, so I'm excited to actually work on a larger project this time. And something else that's new is this blanket is actually for me. No gift for someone else this time, no donation, just all for me. I plan to use it as a throw on top of the futon in my office to add some great texture and a personal touch to that room.

I have no idea how long it's going to take me to complete this blanket, because I don't get the opportunity to work on it every day. Most of the time I end up staying up really late after the kids have gone to bed just to have a chance to work on it uninterrupted. But now that I've switched to the 2nd pattern it's going much quicker and the variations between patterns and colors is really helping to keep my interest in this project! I can't wait until it's done!


No comments:

Post a Comment