Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket       Photobucket      


Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Having a Great Week

Last week I was feeling really discouraged and defeated...both from the stress & pressure of the upcoming motorcycle skills test and because of my stagnating weight and run times.

This week it feels so good to have passed the motorcycle test and be able to check that off my list, and my weight and run times have also begun to improve once again! I missed 1 workout last week...simply too exhausted to do it on Sat., but I still made great progress. I'm now about 1.5 lbs. away from my next big milestone of 20lbs. which is exciting to be that close!

Yesterday I ran outside and once again had my best run times yet! After my usual series of stretches and walking 1 mile, I ran for 3.1 miles at a steady pace and managed to shorten my total run time by a full minute.

Once I reached that point I walked for about a minute, and then continued jogging/running until I reached the 4.0 mile mark. Then from 4.0 miles to 5.0 miles I incorporated intervals of sprinting as fast as I could go for 1 min., followed by walking 1 min., and repeating that process until I reached the end. So far these interval sprints have been really challenging my endurance and kicking my butt, but I didn't feel completely wiped out at the end of this run...and I managed to knock off 42 seconds from my best 5.0 mile run time!!! So despite the sprinting and extra walking time to recoup I still had an excellent total time.

Outside run 5.0 miles = 53:18min., 10:40min./mile pace
(my time at 3.1 miles during this run = 31:23min., 10:07min./mile pace)

So I've regained a ton of confidence and now definitely think I can run my first 5k in less than 30 min.! After all it's still a little over 7 weeks away. Oh, I've added a new countdown widget to my sidebar to keep track of the countdown to my first 5k race.

And today I was very surprised to see several improvements from my body measurements compared to those measurements from just 3 1/2 weeks ago! In that short amount of time I've lost:

0.5 inch less on my neck
1.25 inches less on my chest
0.5 inch less on my upper arms
The same on my forearms
The same on my abdomen
0.5 inch less on my hips
1 inch less on my thighs
0.25 inch less on my calves

And my total percent of body fat went down from 25.1% which is on the border between ideal and overweight to 21.5% which is still in the ideal category but on the border between ideal and lean!!!

I've also got some new competition/motivation going with my little sis, who claims she's put on a lot of extra weight this past year and from the measurements she gave me she's slightly smaller than me right now but pretty close. I don't really believe her that she's gained that much weight, so she's sending me her before photos to prove it and now we have a little competition going to see who can get down to their goal weight first.

She lives in TN so we're going to be accountability partners checking in with each other once per week. She's doing the P90X program which my trainer said is an excellent video program because of the constant muscle confusion method. Since I'm 8 years older than her, I've had 4 children (she doesn't have kids), and I've had way more total weight to lose than she does, I know that if I can keep pushing my butt into shape then she better do it!

So we'll see how it goes. We're using different programs & methods to achieve our goals. While she's using P90X I'm running and strength training 6 days per week with my trainer coming over once per week to monitor my progress and increase the intensity on my exercises.

I love, love, LOVE seeing my progress in actual number increments!!! So this has been a really great week so far with my weight loss continuing to drop and my body measurements dropping too! I'm almost 2/3 of the way toward my total weight loss goals, I can't wait!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment